After Surgery Information
After Surgery Instructions
1. No running, jumping, playing, swimming, or other strenuous activity for 7 to 10 days.
2. Pets must be kept indoors where they can stay clean, dry and warm. No baths during the recovery period. Dogs must be walked on a leash and cats kept indoors.
3. Keep pet quiet.
4. Check the incision site twice daily. There should be no drainage. Redness and swelling should be minimal. A firm knot or lump at the incision site is normal. Do not allow pet to lick or chew at the incision. If this occurs, to prevent the licking, an Elizabethan collar (e-collar) MUST be used.
5. Lethargy, appetite loss, diarrhea, vomiting, coughing COULD occur up to 24 hours following surgery. Symptoms lasting more than 24 hours should be followed-up by contacting AAAR for a recheck.
6. Your pet received a green tattoo on their abdomen. This is not an incision.
7. AAAR will treat at our clinic, at no additional cost, other than take home post-operative medications, for any complications resulting from the surgery.
8. We cannot be held responsible for complications resulting from client’s failure to follow post-op instructions, or for contagious diseases for which the animal was not previously vaccinated.
9. Your regular veterinarian must address any illness or injury that is not a direct result of surgery.
10. If there are any questions or concerns directly related to the surgery during the recovery period, please call us Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. at (586) 879-1745. If there is an emergency after hours, contact your regular veterinarian, emergency animal clinic. Wilson Vet Hospital has a 24 hour emergency clinic.